The top ten things that drive me stark raving mad about the iPhone
Lists of things you love and hate are naff. I know that. I still want to write one though. That is because I live with my iPhone every day. I have for years now. I use it to write articles. I write music with. I draft stories. I converse, I read, I play with this thing. So let me preface this list by saying I love this thing. These are the few things that I think are decidedly poor choices in the design of an overall great device.
Hopefully, a bored apple engineer will stumble across this list and then I will get the perfect device.
1) It auto-corrects its to it’s, as if the former simply does not exist in the English language.
2) Even when I added ‘its’ to my custom dictionary, the iPhone still auto-corrects its to it’s.
3) The browser renders in such a way that it doesn’t remember where I am in the text when it gets around to loading images. This means my attempts to read online articles are punctuated by constant re-scrolling to the point I was reading.
4) When I press the stop loading to prevent the browser reloading a page that is already visible, the render engine sets the whole page blank. I am prevented from changing my mind and continuing to read what is already loaded.
5) The YouTube application does not cache videos. Why ?
6) The YouTube application does not let me re-watch something I just watched without downloading the entire video a second time from the start. This makes me livid.
7) I have no control over how much data can be cached by the maps application. This means I cannot pre-load data before going into areas that have exorbitant data roaming costs.
8) If an SMS fails to send, the phone is not smart enough to try again when I get a connection. Numerous messages have goon unanswered due to this absurdity. It is really simple: once I send it, I want you to fucking SEND IT as soon as you can!
9) I am prevented from combining typing with pasting text in certain widgets. For example, in the phone application, if I have copied a number into the buffer, and I need to first type in the international code, I am not allowed to paste the number after what I have typed. What I typed gets completely overwritten. The only way around this is to open the notepad, type the international code, then paste the number, then re-copy the combination of the two and return to the phone app. This makes me want to raise Steve Jobs from the dead so I can kill him personally.
10) In addition to the above. If I have a phone number in text, then I press and hold to copy. All I get are options to call that number or add it to a contact. What happened to copy? Copy is what I want to do most when I press and hold. Of course sometimes I will want to copy a phone number. Like in the above case when I am trying to get around another defect in the OS design.
10) If I am downloading an app into the phone and I press the icon to ‘pause’ it, when I press it again to un-pause the download starts again from the beginning. This also drives me crazy. Why is it so fucking hard to start a download again from the point at which it was paused? Why for fuck’s sake ?
I do love my iPhone though.